Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
Slow simmered in a red wine sauce – these short ribs will melt in your mouth. Pair with Maize Valley Secret Stash for a match made in heaven.
- 2 Tbl Olive Oil
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- 4 large shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine such as Maize Valley Secret Stash
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper. Brown beef in oil on all sides then transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium and add shallots, sauté until golden (about 2 minutes). Add carrots, celery and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add wine and vinegar and simmer until the liquids are reduced by half (about 5 minutes). Stir in the beef stock, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Return beef to the pot. Bring to a simmer, then cover the pot and transfer to the oven.
Braise until the beef falls apart with a fork, about 2 1/2 – 3 hours.